Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painted fence and shade garden

Upcycler01
Having an Impact

Painted fence and shade garden

garden pic 1.jpggarden pic 2.jpggarden pic 3.jpggarden pic 4.jpggarden pic 6.jpg

I transformed a drab part of the backyard with Dulux weathersheild paint on the fence in a lighter, fresher colour and planted out the garden with a heap of shade loving plants that were purchased from the indoor plant section of Bunnings (the area is so heavily shaded that the plants are not affected by the summer heat, I just make sure the dripper hose is used daily in summer to keep the soil from drying out and I also use lots of mulch)

Materials

Dulux weatershiled paint in Paper Bark

Wagner Spray gun 

Various shade loving plants from the indoor garden section of bunnings

Tools

Wagner spray gun 

Steps

Step 1

The fence was throughly cleaned, especially along the bottom part as dirt had built up, scrap back dirt from the base of the fence so you don't paint dirt onto the bottom of the fence and you get a clean finish. 

Step 2

Plants were positioned before planting. 

Plants were planted and pebbles added around the birds nest fern.

Mulch was added to the entire section.

New plants were planted along the fenceline too. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painted fence and shade garden D.I.Y. July Australia

You've done a fantastic job transforming your backyard @Upcycler01! The new fence colour really brightens the area, and the plants bring the space to life. It looks like you've created a wonderful place to enjoy a morning coffee.

Excellent work, and many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: Painted fence and shade garden

Looks great @Upcycler01 

I wish i lived in a place where I can grow those plants outside. 

You may have to thin some of those out over time if they start getting too big. 

Good luck. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects