Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need entrance decking ideas and tips

flummoxed01
Finding My Feet

Need entrance decking ideas and tips

Looking for some ideas! I’m planning to deck a small entrance area and need it to be low-profile. Has anyone tackled something similar? Would love to hear your suggestions on materials, design, and any tips for making the most of a small space.

Photos attached. 

IMG_9501.jpeg

IMG_9500.jpeg

Thanks!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Entrance Decking Ideas/tips

Hi @flummoxed01,

Thank you for your question about decking a small landing at your front door.

We have a number of low-level decking projects that you can check out for some guidance. You can find our Top 10 most popular low-level deck projects here.

There is also this handy guide from @Adam_W - How to build a low-level deck that you can use as a reference.

The first consideration you would need to make is the height of the top of the bricks at your front door. The frame and subsequent decking would need to fit below this line to create a seamless entry that flows into each other. You could increase the usable height by removing the brick landing, but it is not necessarily essential.

Could you advise what the height difference between the landing and the top of the bricks at your door is?

This will help our members design a plan that will work with your space.

Allow me to tag @Nailbag, @Noyade, @Dave-1 and @TedBear to see if they have any thoughts.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Need entrance decking ideas and tips

Good Morning @flummoxed01 

A nice timber deck would really lift that area. The only problem is the height you haveto play with 😕 As @JacobZ has mentioned pulling up the bricks might be an option.

However I do have another idea, not super keen on it as its plastic (recyled plastic to be exact witch is good)

Replas recyled products is the company I have been following for awhile as they produce some nice pieces of stuff for outside.

Square Profiles is the one I am thinking of for your situation. Its a square profiled piece of plastic long.

I am suggesting to use these as your joists and then merabau timber for the top. You dont need to worry about the plastic flexing as it will be fixed to the brickwork. Air circulation is about the only concen I have and as the pieces that support are plastic... Well it wont rot :smile:

If you wanted to extend the deck I would use timber joists once you leave the bricks, the plastic is what I am thinking to protect the timber from water.

Dave

Nailbag
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Need entrance decking ideas and tips

Hi @flummoxed01 

To simplify the build I would first remove the brick landing and then follow the low-level deck build @JacobZ link to in his post

Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects