Workshop
Ask a question

How to level external concrete?

Bolton
Getting Established

How to level external concrete?

Hi, I have a form concrete external structure. It’s a sunken fire pit however I need to level the concrete. Can self leveling concrete be used outside and how easy or hard is it to do ?

It would need to be around 100mm in depth. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Level external concrete

Hello @Bolton 

Most of the self-levelling cements will only go up to a maximum of 25mm as they are often used for surface adjustments. But if you need it at 100mm in depth, I recommend using Easy Mix 20kg Concrete

I propose creating formwork with your desired level built in. In this manner when you start doing the finish on the surface of the concrete there will be no need to use the self-leveller.

However, please keep in mind that if the surface is too level water will stand and gather in pools on the surface, I therefore advise putting in a slight fall so that rainwater will slide off the surface. I recommend using a builder's line as a guide and a spirit level to double check the level of the concrete.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to pour a concrete slab (the techniques used are applicable to your project)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bolton
Getting Established

Re: Level external concrete

Thank you Eric, it already has form concrete poured and it’s dug into the ground already however the easy mix concrete might be the way to go then the tiler can create a slop towards the drain. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects