Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to varnish over stained wood outdoor furniture?

5Thumbs
Getting Established

How to varnish over stained wood outdoor furniture?

I bought some outdoor furniture for the patio recently. It came with a light stain all over the wood, but the staining won't last for long against the elements. I was wondering what I would need to know if I wanted to varnish over the staining in order to preserve its life. Do I need to sand the wood first before using a marine varnish, or do I need to paint an undercoat of some sort first, or can I simply go ahead and varnish straight away?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Varnishing over stained wood

Hi @5Thumbs 

Does the wood look dry like  normal wood?   What I mean is some  outdoor  furnature are oiled and  might  need to reduce the oil  out of the timber first to apply any varnish  type  paints.

If  a furnature is oiled  people can always  keep it oil with linseed oil or the like if  done right I how ever is near yearly maintenance,

My personal favorite Is

Sikkens Cetol HLSe.  (Natural No  colours )  this usually has  timber stains  added be advised)

Finish with  

SIKKENS CETOL TGL GLOSS PLUS UV and weather resistant

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @5Thumbs,

Great advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Typically outdoor furniture will come with a protective coating, and yours has likely been coated with an oil and stain combo. It would be best to leave it as such and do the yearly re-oil. The benefit of oils over hard coatings is that with yearly maintenance, they can be rejuvenated with a quick wipe over of oil. Hard coatings, however, need to be sanded back and re-coated when deteriorated. That's why you'll generally find most outdoor furniture comes with oil rather than a hard coating, as maintenance is much simpler.

If your furniture doesn't have a protective coating, which would be unusual, you can apply a marine varnish directly over the stain.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jewelleryrescue. Good advice.

Hi Mitchell

Thanks for the feedback. It's looking like I should not varnish but rather re-oil each year. Glad I asked you guys, because I would have made a bit of a mess with this one, I think.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No problems @5Thumbs! Please reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home or garden; we're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects