Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a troublesome Victa hedger that won't start?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

How to repair a troublesome Victa hedger that won't start?

Purchased from Bunnings (five years ago?).

Clearance item. Heavily discounted.

Worked perfectly until earlier this year.

Very hard to start - maybe 50 pulls of the cord required.

Once idling, when you squeeze the throttle - there is a quick increase in RPM - then if you continue to squeeze, the engine stalls.

Dunno why?

20230802_134423.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Troublesome Victa Hedger

Hi @Noyade,

I presume the air filter is clean, the fuel you're using is less than a year old, and you've replaced the spark plug in the time you've had the machine. Given that, then it sounds like a carburettor issue with it being clogged or dirty. Been using E10 in it? Although E10 can be used in small engines, it's my personal experience that it tends to leave a lacquer-like varnished coating over internal parts, and this can easily block a jet. Not sure if you've ever disassembled a small engine that's been running on E10, but you'll see a yellowish varnish on surfaces that can be chipped off. I've never had any issues with seals or gaskets being deteriorated by it, but apparently, that is a thing. I always advise customers to purchase premium as you use a small quantity. Also, when putting the tool away for the season, I recommend pouring out the remaining fuel and running it until it cuts out. This ensures that fuel doesn't sit in the carby for the next few months and go bad, clogging everything up.

As an educated guess, I'd say your carburettor needs to be cleaned out and those jets checked to see if they are blocked.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Yes, clean filter.

New fuel - tried various petrol outlets.

No ethanol.

New spark plug.

I always mix just enough for the job then empty and leave it running till it stops.

My neighbour is an engine lover - he suggested it is running "too rich" and feels that the choke should be at the notch indicated - not fully forward.

But that doesn't always solve the problem.

I'll look at the carburetor situation.

Thanks for looking.

20230821_151314.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade 

Have you tried flooding the carburettor? Push the fuel bulb to max then keep pumping until you get flow back from the carb. Let it sit for a couple of minutes so that the fuel settles down back to normal levels and then give it another go. If it still fails, then it might be time for a tear down to clean out the gum deposits in the carb.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you both. I had a look at YouTube videos on cleaning carburetors and it just looked beyond me and my arthritic fingers - I fill this thing with petrol sometimes and forget where I put the petrol cap.

It's also extremely heavy.

Any battery hedger suggestions? I would like it to have a large swath.

Cheers.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade 

I suppose it depends on what batteries you currently have. If you've got the One+ from Ryobi, I suggest having a look at the Ryobi 18V ONE+ 2.0Ah Pole Hedge Trimmer And Pruner Kit. It's an excellent set that comes with a changeable head for pruning. If you have a deep hedge this should work nicely as it has a long pole allowing you to extend into the hedge without having to go to the other side.

But if you are after just a hedge trimmer, I recommend the the Ryobi One+ 18V 50cm Cordless Hedge Trimmer - Tool Only. On the condition that you have the One+ set already.

There are definitely other brands that offer a hedge trimming tool. But at the moment this is a great combination offer from Ryobi. I recommend visiting your local store and having a look at the hedge trimmers and see which one is to your liking.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @EricL ! 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects