Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch a hole in brickwork outside?

Sable808
Just Starting Out

How to patch a hole in brickwork outside?

Hi,

We recently had our exterior lights updates to LED.  Around most of the new lights is holes in the brick work where the older bigger lights have been removed.  Can anyone help me with best way of fixing this - I am not very handy so totally a beginner so looking for a beginner friendly solution if possible.

Cheers,

Alex20221019_151125.jpg20221019_151143.jpg20221019_170741.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch a hole in brickwork outside?

Hello @Sable808

Thank you very much for sharing photos of the brick holes that need to be patched. I suggest using Dingo 10kg Mortar Mix, just add water and mix thoroughly. You're aiming for the consistency of toothpaste so that the mortar can be pushed and moulded into the hole of the brick. You'll need a bucket and a Craftright 150mm Pointing Trowel. Please note to mix only the amount you need to do the repairs, you don't need to mix the full bag.

My number one tip is to put a drop sheet or a flattened cardboard box on the floor to catch any mortar that may spill from the trowel. You'll need a minimum of 3 weeks to make sure the mortar has cured before you paint the surface. Painting too early will trap the moisture inside the mortar and will push the paint off causing bubbling and peeling. I also suggest pulling the old green brick plugs with pliers and filling those in as well.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects