Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint gutters?

Delia1
Just Starting Out

How to paint gutters?

Would like to paint my gutters, what would be the better way and what do I need?

IMG_1083.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint gutters?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Delia1. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting gutters.

It appears that the paint is delaminating and peeling away from the guttering. You can see this is also occurring on the far left of the guttering. Since this doesn't appear to be an isolated area, the correct approach would be to remove the current paint from the guttering before priming and then recoating with good-quality exterior paint.

I can't tell from the images, but is this a previously painted gutter or galvanised steel? If it is galvanised steel, I would suggest removing any loose paint with a scraper and then, if there are some well-adhered sections, apply a paint stripper to them. However, if this is a Colorbond gutter that has a painted coating, the stripper would likely remove it too. In that case, you might be best off not using the stripper and removing all the brown paint with a scraper.

Since you'll be working at height, have a read through this article on How to use ladders safely. Also, remember you're PPE, including safety glasses, gloves, a face mask, a long sleeve shirt and pants and enclosed footwear.

I understand that removing the current paint likely doesn't sound appealing, but it's the only way to guarantee your new paint doesn't continue to peel off with the older paint. It's not recommended to paint over compromised surfaces such as this.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects