Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a deck roof?

Marksy
Just Starting Out

How to install a deck roof?

What's the easiest way to attach my ledger board above the doors to my weatherboard house without having to pull the boards off, 20mm packers between the house and ledger board?

20230823_100452.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to install a deck roof?

Hello @Marksy,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're excited to have you join us and we look forward to seeing and assisting you with your D.I.Y. projects around the home and garden. 

Thanks for your question. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be back online later today and should be able to assist. In the meantime, let me tag some other helpful members @Adam_W@alicanterenodb and @tom_builds to see if they have any thoughts. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Marksy 

Thanks for sharing your question about installing a deck roof connected to your house. In this particular scenario, I suggest engaging the services of a draft person. They will be able to design a roofing frame along with the posts required for the build. I also suggest checking your local council's rules and regulations regarding adding an attached roof to your house. 

Another option available to you is to build the roofing frame independent of the house structure. I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to build a basic pergola? by @Ange11. Although it refers to a pergola, the structure has been modified so that you can install polycarbonate roofing.

Here are links to discussions about pergolas with roofing.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @Dave-1 and @DIYgals for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good morning @Marksy 

Ahhh Thank you @EricL lol It shows how sometimes our brains dont think outside the box! I saw your question yesterday @Marksy  and didnt think I had enough knowledge of how to mount a ledger board to your wall. But as Eric suggests would you consider a freestanding roof? I have built one for next to my pool, its been standing for just on ten years I think. It is freestanding and the reason I chose the freestanding is I didnt know/want to attach it to the house. 

Could you supply some more photos of teh area so we can see how big and what outside the box thinking we can come up with? Also what type of roof are you thinking for the deck? Solid, tin, perspex or even shade sail?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects