Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover tiles with self levelling cement for shed floor?

Asad
Finding My Feet

How to cover tiles with self levelling cement for shed floor?

Hi my outdoor tiles are dirty and want to cover with self leveling cement. Can i use self leveling cement as final floor? If not why?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Self leveling cement over tiles outdoor under shed

Hi @Asad,

Thank you for your question about using self-levelling cement over outdoor tiles.

Is it possible to get some photos of the tiles? Also, are you aware of what kind of tiles they are? Are they porcelain, ceramic, natural stone or any other type of tile? 

The specifics of the tiles will affect what products can and can't be used.

It is likely that there is a method of application that can be used, but you'll have to allow me to contact our suppliers when they reopen Monday to confirm products and application methods that they advise for your circumstances.

You'll also have to let me confirm with the suppliers their stance on using self levelling cement as a finished floor. It is likely they will say it is not possible as these products are generally designed to be a substrate for tiles or other floor coverings, but please allow me to confirm with them.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any trouble uploading images or identifying the type of tile, I'd be happy to assist further if required.

Jacob

Asad
Finding My Feet

Thanks Jacob for your reply. Tiles are porcelain with rough texture. Pic attached.

20240831_135544.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Asad,

Thank you for your follow up and for the photos.

Please allow me to contact our suppliers on Monday to confirm which products, if any, can be used and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Jacob

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Asad,

I've been trying to contact Sika, the company most likely to have a product suitable for this application, but it seems their technical team are unavailable.

Please hold tight. I will be continuing to try to get through to them and will get back to you as soon as they are available for comment.

Jacob

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Asad,

Unfortunately, the advice I've been given is that there is not a product suitable to be used as a finished floor as they are too soft and susceptible to damage if they are uncovered.

You could use a product like Sikafloor® Level Ultra, however this could not be used as a final floor, and you would need to use a floor covering such as tiles over the top. If you wanted to go with this option, you'll need to speak to the Special Orders team at your local store as it is not a stocked line. They'll be able to assist you with ordering this product.

A good clean with a pressure washer and some Davco Tile And Grout Cleaner might also be a good option.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Asad
Finding My Feet

Thanks Jacob for the efforts. I will probably paint it then 😀

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects