Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover Treated Pine planks under fence?

julietta
Finding My Feet

How to cover Treated Pine planks under fence?

Hi

My neighbor has just installed a colourbond fence with treated pine boards (ACC - it says arsenate on the label) underneath the fence. 

My puppy is trying to get under the fence to the neighbours dogs and is chewing and scratching on the planks and I am worried as I don't believe this is healthy for him to ingest.

Most of the fence has one uncut board, so there is a lot of wood exposed.  The fence is 30m long.

I would appreciate if someone could advise the easiest and most economical way for me to cover the planks, so my dog and young children cannot be exposed to them as it is a well used area.

It basically looks like this.

julietta_0-1683705751317.jpeg

Thanks in advance for your help!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cover Treated Pine Planks

Hello @julietta 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about covering treated pine planks.

I suggest having a look at the 90 x 19mm SpecRite Merbau Pre-Oiled Decking. These panels come in random lengths and are pre-oiled, which means that they are good to go and ready to be installed. Merbau's strength comes from the natural oils contained inside the wood. These oils offer excellent protection against natural forces and prevent the timber from shrinking, cracking and splitting.

I recommend covering the exposed timber at the bottom with these panels in combination with Buildex 10-8 x 50mm Climacoat Square Drive Treated Pine Decking Screws. These screws are made to be used on decking panels and treated timber.

This would be the most cost-effective solution specially if you are staying in that property for a long time. Taken care of properly the panels will last at least 20+ years. 

Please note that a bit of oil will flow out of the panels while it seasons out in the open. This normally takes about six to eight weeks depending on the amount of rain it receives.    

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask while working on your timber cover.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @TedBear for their recommendation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks I appreciate your quick response!

That's a really good suggestion and will look good also, better than the black plastic the neighbour suggested :unhappy:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @julietta 

Another product you can use is 200 x 50mm 1.8m Sleeper H4 Treated Pine Sienna MicroPro. It uses copper as its main preservative and is rated safe for use in vegetable gardens and children's playgrounds. 

This is a great alternative as you can use it to build a raised garden bed. I recommend having a look at this guide - How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular raised garden beds.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to cover Treated Pine planks under fence?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @julietta.

As it's a very big fence, I wonder whether you might first try some preventative measures to try to stop your dog from chewing and scratching the planks?

I know Eric has previously recommended Multicrop 1kg Keep Off Animal Repellent. It comes in crystal form and does not get washed away in heavy rain. It is safe for animals and humans and comes in spray form. Another effective deterrent Eric has recommended previously to help keep dogs off lawns is the Sureguard Motion Activated Water Spray Animal Repellent. When set up correctly, it is an ideal deterrent to all animals entering its guarded safe zone.

Looking forward to reading other suggestions from community members.

Jason

Re: How to cover Treated Pine planks under fence?

Thanks these are good suggestions, I haven't heard of the activated motion sprayers I will look further into that as i need to keep him away from the fence long term anyway!

Thank you!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects