Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to calculate posts and bearers for a deck?

felipenm
Getting Established

How to calculate posts and bearers for a deck?

Hey there!

I am thinking about building a DIY deck and I put together this decking design. I am now working on the decking frame plan. I know that for the posts it is better to use H4 treated and the bearers and joists can use H3 treated. As for the joists' spacing, I know that I should be spacing them no more than 450mm. Now, I've done some research and I can't get my head around those span tables to decide how many posts I need and the spacing between bearers. Does anyone out there would be able to help me with that?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

FelipeDecking Measurement.jpgScreenshot 2024-10-05 at 1.33.11 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-10-05 at 1.34.44 AM.png

__PRESENT

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Deck - How to calculate posts / bearers?

Hi @felipenm,

The usage of the term bearer and joist can cause some confusion. If you have a joist over bearer system that makes sense. However, their meaning can be lost in translation in a single-level deck. For a single-level deck, it's best to use the word joists, which supports your decking and not use the word bearer.

For a single-level deck, you have joists spaced every 450mm, as you've mentioned. Those joists need to be supported depending on their calibre and span. Say for 90 x 45mm joists you'd want to support them every 1000mm.

If you have enough height to build a joist over bearer deck, it can save on how many supports you need to install as you'd use a larger bearers that can span further and then lay your joists over them. 

If you can tell me if you are building a single level deck or a joist over bearer deck, I can assist with appropriate spacings. If you can't decide on which, let me know your available working height and we can go from there.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your response. Your explanation about the joist and bearer makes total sense. The available working height is about 40cm. 

Regards

Felipe

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

With that amount of room, you could easily fit 140mm bearers, 90mm joists and your 19mm decking @felipenm. You'd run the bearers at 1000mm centres, supported every 1800mm.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects