Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i get these screws out of a plank?

tnsmith001
Growing in Experience

How do i get these screws out of a plank?

I’m in the middle of my outdoor horse feeding station project and need to move plank that created one wall to fill a gap in another section but I can’t get these screws out of the last plank. I’ve use PH1 reverse drill but it won’t work it’s like they have no thread although I can see they do. Any suggestions? 

IMG_8584.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i get these screws out

Hi @tnsmith001,

Are you finding that the screws are just spinning without reversing out?

If this is the case, grab a chisel, flathead screwdriver, or even a butter knife. Place the tool under the head of the screw and lever it out while the drill is spinning in reverse.

The likely problem is that the timber has rotted slightly so there is nothing for the thread on the screw to bite into. Applying this small amount of force, will likely pull the screw out enough for the thread to bite and then rotate out.

Let me know how you go. If this does not work, I can offer further advice.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @tnsmith001 

"PH1"

PH1 seems awfully small.

Try a PH2?

Failing that - as per @JacobZ  - or, there appears to be enough of the heads exposed for a pair on pincers to pry them out.

Good luck!

PH1 on left. PH2 on right.PH1 on left. PH2 on right.

tnsmith001
Growing in Experience

You were right it was too small and the PH2 did it. Shows you what a beginner I am. Thanks so much for the reply and advise. 

p.s. the rubber band trick didn’t work for me. 

It's great to hear of your success @tnsmith001. Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects