Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I properly repair this gutter?

njk1313
Finding My Feet

How do I properly repair this gutter?

Hey there everybody, I just need some advice on what to do with my gutters.

The first pic (looking left), I think the guttering is pretty OK - the gutter is tucked under the tiles, and is decently flush with the backing board.

The second pic (looking right), you can see that it's sagging off the backing board pretty badly. The gutter straps/brackets on that side seem like they've bent, maybe due to age or weight that was on them.

Is this a case of just replacing those brackets/straps? Or is there a greater problem that I can't quite understand? Any help would be great.

20241008_140112.jpg20241008_140109.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I properly repair this gutter?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @njk1313. We trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden.

Please note that a couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so there might be a bit of a delay before one can get back to you. Apologies. 

Let me see if some other helpful members might share their thoughts: @Dave-1@JDE@tom_builds.   

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @njk1313 

Id does look like your gutter has moved away from the facia. When you stand on a ladder and push up the gutter does the gap close between the rear of the gutter and facia?

If so you may need some new hangers or extra hangers installed as the edge of your tiles are very close to the inner edge of the gutter.When I look closely at the very end of your gutter it appears there is a kink in the gutter, maybe someone has pulled on it or slipped off the roof.

This is a Good time to remind you not to stand on the top two rungs of your ladder as this is a topple point. Also to have someone steady the ladder you are on. (For an A frame ladder the person on the ground has both feet spread where their toes are touching the bottom of the ladder and securinging it from slipping while their hands are firmly fixed at aproximatly should height holding the ladder. The person on the ladder dosnt stretch too far off center of the ladder and does NOT go higher then the top two rungs of the ladder,

Gutter Brackets & Clips shows you two brackets, You may need the profile of your shape of gutter to get a bracket to match? You also may need to lift your gutter out to install the hooks which are clip down and fastened behind the guttering on the facia. I have helped install one set of gutters and found it incrediably easy to do (end cap discussion was interesting but thats another story) With yours you may need to cut the silastic and disconnect the length so you can install new supporting hangers.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @njk1313 

As per Dave. Try pushing up under each bracket - and work your way along. You may need to do it a few times.

New brackets would mean the gutter needs to come off.

20241009_104907.jpg

How did you get up to my roof!?

Thank you @Noyade and @Dave-1 for your advice. When I push it up it does come closer to the facia. Upon closer inspection it does look like the brackets are bent and also poorly fastened (pics below). Looks like I have to take the gutter off, hey? Alternatively, I was thinking something that could hook to the top of the facia and then over the open gutter and hook onto the lip? I haven't found anything that matches my idea but maybe it exists somewhere...

20241009_132843.jpg20241009_132827.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @njk1313 

lol to us getting up on your roof :smile: Sad to say everyone has the same issues  with gutters and roofing.

Yeah Ive never been happy with how they are fastened but they do tend to do the job.

As to the "fix" that you could be asking about..... 

My sunroom is corrorgated sheets, my gutter was doing the same as yours. The pervious owners solution was to wrap a piece of thin silver wire around a screw in the sheet near the edge of the gutter and then wrap the wire around the gutter bracket (That curley bit that loops over the top of the gutter). It worked, surprisingly it worked well tho made cleaning the gutters a pain. Kind of like a few stay wires along the length. Not sure how you would do it with a tiled roof, thats why I didnt mention it up top. You could put a stainless screw into the facia with a tiny bit of an upward angle and then do the wire idea. It may work but "iffy shaking my hands" type deal :smile:

Dave

Ya that's sort of what I was thinking, re the wire idea. I'd take harder to clean over removing the whole gutter at this point - I've got 2 toddlers and not a whole lot of spare time to do bigger repairs, so if I can delay the bigger job that'd be ideal! Could even screw in a hook to the facia and then run a turnbuckle hook from that hook to the edge of the gutter, maybe? Really appreciate your help, and you taking the time to write to me. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day @njk1313 

I fully appreciate the budget aspect.

Just a late afternoon experiment/thought below.

Working at 'gutter' lip level - a roofing punch to indent the top back aspect of the gutter and directly in front of the bracket.

With a long adapter, at a shallow angle - drive self-tapping hex heads through the sheet and bracket - just at the top.

It might make the bracket more secure for the bending process above?

Just a thought

Cheers again.

20241009_163049.jpg

20241009_163204.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

*Addendum*

With a glass of red for courage - the experimentation continued @njk1313 and @Dave-1 

I removed the nails.

A sharp hyper-flexing bend.

And it will support 2 kg easily at the extreme radius.

These brackets (Bunnings) are tougher than I thought.

So if your fascia is in good nick - I think this is a doable solution.

What do you guys think?

20241009_171517.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @Noyade 

:smile: Love the experimentation! And like you I have a high level of respect for those brackets, somehow they hold it up even went "bent" I def give it a go when my gutters sag in a bunch of years (only had them replaced a yearish ago lol) However my deck still needs gutters and you know what, I think I will try to replicate it like your experiment when I do :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects