Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I pull apart my grid connect security camera?

delaney
Just Starting Out

How can I pull apart my grid connect security camera?

image.jpg

image.jpg

We recently changed wifi networks and have been reconnecting our smart home accessories (realised too late we could just change the new wifi name/password to the old one). We’ve successfully done it with everything except one of the grid connect (orion?) security cameras. For some reason we cannot reset it and the pin goes way further in than it should. I’m planning to take it apart so i can see if there’s an issue with the reset button but I can’t figure out how to get to it. I’m open to suggestions aside from opening it too. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I pull apart my grid connect security camera?

Hi @delaney,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

As this camera is IP65-rated to allow its use in outdoor areas where it is exposed to water, it is likely a fully sealed product that is not able to be opened.

You might be able to use some thin wire such as this Jack 0.70mm x 75m Wirepak Galvanised Tie Wire to press the reset button, but this would be a case of trial and error.

Allow me to tag @CSParnell, @Noyade and @Dave-1 to see if they have any ideas.

Jacob

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @delaney 

I  would look up product you tubes to find out how to access the reset pin there may be a trick to it.  Sticking a  metal pin into it to deep at the wrong angle may short the unit out and kill it probably a  20% chance of that take a little care here.

Pulling those cases off often means  prying the case to pop hidden plastic latches there is a high chance it will be damaged and not be water tight (weather resistant in future)  Some times  screws are hidden underneath stickers and or plastic flaps too.

A sure fire solution but time consuming  is reset all the new network pass word to the old one.

One last thought set your new  wifi to old  camera password so your can software talk directly to your camera it maybe restable this way. While your at it update your device firmwares.

Hope some of this helps.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @delaney 

Trying to find the reset pin can be a pain... A real pain but I havnt had too many fail on me. What are you using for a reset pin? I use a sttraightened 50mm (large) paper clip. With the power off from the unit can you sit there and gently poke and feel it hit anything? Id try a few of those type of experiments before going down the route of trying to open it up. If you do manage to feel the button (you should be able to feel a difference as it switches) then power it back on and try to reset it. The instrcuctions I saw said it had to be depressed for 5 seconds.

If you exhaust the feely solition :smile: And want to resort to using a more effictive hammer style action, I would go down the route of a thin but blunt butter knife. From your two picures I cant determine if it clips together in the center or its smooth everywhere except the black front. If its the black front as the only change from that plastic then using the tip of the rounded butter knife (not a stanley as it will mark the plastic easier) try running it around the edge of the black and slightly pushing into and twist. (make sure its disconnected first :smile: )

Dave

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

If you go to your app and to the camera in question even through it will not be connected you can click the 3 dots on the top right hand side and then scroll to the bottom and select delete, select delete device and data.

After that it will enter into pair mode again by default and you can search for it and set it up again.

@delaney 

unfortunately the camera in question has already been removed from the app a few days ago 😕 

delaney
Just Starting Out

we were using the pin that comes with iphones to remove the sim card slot which worked fine for the other camera. when it didn’t work for this camera (they’re the same camera bought at the same time) we tried using a safety pin but it went in way deeper than it should’ve without being able to feel the button. my idea to open it up came from my thinking the reset button had moved and i might be able to find it and press it that way. 

would changing the wifi info work if i’ve deleted the camera from the grid connect app? i saw that i could do that after already manually connecting the other wifi lights and accessories to the new wifi so would they stay connected too or would i have to go through and manually connect them all again? i’m a bit worried ive already killed it but its still got flashing red lights i just can’t get this one into pairing mode (even though i successfully did it with our other camera that’s the same make/model & purchased at the same time). 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @delaney 

Until @CSParnell catches up I was wondering about the sequence of lights flashing. Have you looked up to see if they represent an error code? Or are they trying to "pair"?

Dave

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@delaney @Dave-1 if the lights are blinking fast and it's not pairing then you need to try to pair it in AP mode and to do that you first put it into EZ mode (fast blink) then once it's in EZ mode hold down the reset button for another 5 to 10 seconds and then the lights will blink slow, back out of the pair mode in your app and try again with the lights blinking slow, this time look for a pairing option called AP it may be a drop down it may say is your lights blinking slow depending on the app.

Keep clicking yes and then it will get to a point where it wants to switch wifi to the camera itself, follow the instructions and look for a wifi called Arlec..... Or smart...... And click on it, select this time only when prompted.

It will connect and then it will switch back to your home wifi automatically and then hopefully pair.

Try that.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects