Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How best to cut length of timber?

bel53
Finding My Feet

How best to cut length of timber?

I have a few lengths of 2 x 4 timber that I would like to cut to make some birdhouses. What would be the best tool I need to get easy, neat cuts?  Bit confused as to what would be best. Should I be looking at a circular saw or bench saw? What is the best that it not too expensive, easy for a female hobbyist to use? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How best to cut length of timber?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bel53. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cutting timber.

It sounds like you've already purchased the timber, but if you haven't, we do offer a timber-cutting service in-store. There are some minimum length requirements, but I thought it worth mentioning in case our team can do some of the cutting.

If you only need to make a few cuts, a hand saw would work. If you need to make more than a few cuts, you'd probably want to check out circular saws. Circular saws will make cutting the timber a breeze, but if you're looking for more accuracy than a handheld saw provides, you'd need to invest in a compound mitre saw. A budget-friendly unit like the Ozito 1600W 210mm 8¼" Corded Compound Mitre Saw would be more than adequate for hobby work, and I've used one for many years. It's not too expensive, is easy to use and will cut your timber neatly.

You might like to have a read through this informative guide: How to choose the right power saw for the job.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How best to cut length of timber?

Thanks for the advice. I'll pop into my local Bunnings & purchase the compound saw you mentioned. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects