Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Handrail Connection to a Post

danil22
Just Starting Out

Handrail Connection to a Post

Hi,

I am replacing my deck old timber railing. The existing system uses a custom-made timber brackets to connect the handrail to the existing posts. I want the new handrail to be cpomposed by a flat 90x19 mm pine timber board on top of a 66x42 with a 19 mm balustrade groove. I am thinking of making the connection to the post with a bracket as shown in the pic. My questions are?

1. What is the best way to conceal the bracket? I am thinking of using the existing balustarde groove and miling a groove on the post. Then I need to cover the post bracket with something before painting on top

2. Is there a better way?

Thanks

DanielPicture1.png 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Handrail Connection to a Post

Hi @danil22,

That's certainly an option and miilling a groove in the post, as you mentioned, would work well. Once the bracket is in place, you can cover it with timber moulding or another thin material before painting for a seamless finish.

If you were going to use a filler, you should recess the bracket into the post by at least 5mm. This will give you enough depth to fill over it with Builder's Bog, ensuring a smooth surface once it's sanded and painted. 

Another approach to consider is using a hidden fastening system or dowels. This avoids the need for visible brackets altogether, creating a cleaner look without additional patching. You can also reinforce the handrail by sinking screws through the sides into the post. This will help prevent any twisting or movement over time, ensuring the structure remains secure.

Please let me know fi you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects