Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I lay pebbles on top of my PVC stormwater drain?

MikDIY
Getting Established

Can I lay pebbles on top of my PVC stormwater drain?

Hi, Im planning on laying pebbles all through the side of my house. Just wanting to get some idea how drainage would work? Eg. do i need to make sure my drain height is flush with base level soil and pebbles on top? I have some pvc sticking up the ground at the moment

thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can I lay pebbles on top of my PVC stormwater drain?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MikDIY. We trust you'll get plenty of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden.

Could you please share some photos of the area so members can see what you are working with and provide more specific advice?

Please let me know if you need a hand uploading some images.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikDIY
Getting Established

Hi @Jason ,

Please see the attached

IMG_5824.jpeg

IMG_5817.jpeg

IMG_5822.jpeg

IMG_5820.jpeg

IMG_5819.jpeg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good afternoon @MikDIY 

Welcome to Bunnings community page :smile: And a great way to start off I must say! For some reason I love paths and associated earth work. I think it just gives a since of "I did it" when its finished.

Thinking of your question re "drainage would work" I have a few questions to help out.

How level is that soil in your yard? I noticed the steps in the first photo and the bottom step looks shorter then the others, is the earth higher there? Or is it just perspective? Which way does the water tend to pool now when it rains? and does it drain away in any direction?

If the yard needs to be leveled you could use the soil and raise it up to level with that stormwater drain grate. Or cut the pipe down a little and have it level with the top of your pebbles. I am not keen on covering the drain with pebbles (Think I misunderstood that part :smile: )

Are you putting down a weed mat of some kind? Are you thinking of having pavers down the pathway as well? 

Looking forward to seeing the project pics :smile:

Dave

MikDIY
Getting Established

Hi @Dave-1 

thanks for the very insightful questions. The steps are all the same height. The photo is just very deceiving.

the current ground level is almost level, the pipes need cutting down. I will need to slope so that water will run to the drains. 

The only reason im hesitant to flush the top of drain to the pebbles is that the water would need to raise upto the level of the pebbles for it to get to the drain and drain away. Its probably not that big of a problem but it just means water will sit and pool until it dries bcos it cant drain anywhere.

let me know your thoughts.

thanks

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @MikDIY 

Mmmm you could put in a short french drain and connect that to your stormwater pipe below the surface?

I put a french style drain in with pavers on top. For yours you could cover with gravel and then put pebbles on top and connect to that stormwater pipe.

This is my project but only the last two steps are to show how you could connect the drain to the stormwater pipe so no puddles are formed

Fixing water ingress issues in garage 

If you did the french drain with gravel on top it would solve your concern about needing to change the height of the pipe.

Dave

MikDIY
Getting Established

Ok thanks so much. This has given me some ideas

Mik

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MikDIY 

It's great that you've received excellent ideas from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend drawing your plan on paper first so that you'll know where the French drain will empty out. This will also tell you how long the drain coil has to be.  

Please note that if you plan on linking the French drain to your existing storm drain, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber.     

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects