Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is this and how can i fix it?

beginnerDIY2
Finding My Feet

What is this and how can i fix it?

Hi all,

I've attached a photo of a strange pattern in the corner of the ceiling of our upstairs bedroom. I have no idea what it is. It is above the stairway and in a difficult area to access closely. Initially I thought it might be mould but I don't think it is... It is quite hard and has a 'stuck on' feeling.

I've looked on the outside and it corresponds to where our chimney exits (not used as a real fireplace anymore, has a gas fireplace there now). There is similar black discolouration there as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated... Is it mould? And is this something I can try to fix myself or does it need a professional?

1000028101.jpg

1000028104.jpg

1000028103.jpg

beginnerDIY2
Finding My Feet

Re: What is this and how can i fix it?

Some further pictures attached.

We have been in the house for a year and we do not think the pattern is spreading or getting worse... We have just been ignoring it but would like to try and fix it up before considering renting the house!

The other thing I was thinking was possibly some sort of old insect eggs?

1000028105.jpg

1000028106.jpg

Re: What is this and how can i fix it?

Hi @beginnerDIY2,

From your first two images, I would say that it is definitely mould that has likely formed due to the flashing on the outside of the wall, allowing moisture into it. However, from the most recent images, the dark areas do seem raised, which is not something I've encountered before. Can you remove them by scraping them? 

They almost look like small pebble aggregates in the wall. I'd try scraping them to see if they are easily removed. If you can remove them or scrape them off, I'd apply a primer and then repaint the area. Also, I recommend having a flashing expert take a look at the outside of the wall, as the flashing does look like it would allow water in during driving rain.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects