Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What heat proof material for fireplace?

Jill3
Just Starting Out

What heat proof material for fireplace?

I have an exciting fireplace. 4" cement on ground. The walls are cement sheeting. I have correlated roofing on that to height of 3ft in front of that I placed bricks. That has been in Place for 4 years I now have Scandia wood heater which is quite a bit bigger I have to take the bricks away so it fits with right distance. I was thinking if I  placed corrugated iron With corrugation placed different direction it would give me a safe distance from wall to fire. It is in a corner thank for any ideas

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What heat proof material for fireplace?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jill3. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a fireplace.

Which Scanidia unit are you looking to install? The required setbacks from combustible materials will be listed in your installation instructions.

If the wall contains combustible materials, you'd need to follow the Australian Standards for setback and heat shielding. This typically requires an air gap and metal sheeting. I would consider using other sheeting than corrugated iron, as it typically has a galvanised coating. Galvanisation can start producing toxic fumes from 200 degrees Celsius.

Given the confinement of the fireplace, I'd recommend you enlist the services of a professional for installation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects