Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

TV cabinet with laminex surround back panel

RainbowDiY
Having an Impact

TV cabinet with laminex surround back panel

My cat broke my TV! I had been meaning to replace the TV unit as the drawers were not working anymore and it was chipped and tired but once the TV needed replacing it was time.

i purchased some kitchen cabinets from Ikea along with doors. I also purchased Acacia panels from Bunnings along with a piece of laminex surround . 

IMG_0034.jpeg

I wanted to hide cables and power boards and so built in plastic trunking into the back of the unit to run cables. I purchased two Phillips Hie Play bars to throw light up behind the Tv and onto the Laminex Surround Back Board.

image.jpg

i built and positioned the cabinets and wired everything up. I too the doors and sprayed the centres in Porters Hampton Blue. I built a boxes out frame out of 64x 11 Primed DAR and sprayed it with Porters Popcorn white in enamel.

i rounded over edges of Acacia to make a top, and cut sides to length. I sanded to 220 grit and finished in hard wax oil. I then attached all the tops and then the sides. I used the left over acacia to built two boxes and a face frame to fit in and cover the wide shelving and make a space for Apple TV and gaming items to sit.

image.jpg

all the gaps at the back filled in with pieces of pine painted in popcorn white.

image.jpg

i put shelves in the two end cabinets and drawers in the centre two. I attached the doors to the bottom drawers in both centre cabinets and attached gold knobs.

image.jpg

i cut the Laminex surround in half and sprayed it in Hampton Blue. I then fixed it to the three 42x19 battons I had fixed to the brick wall. I then placed the box I had made around the laminex so it looks like a framed picture. I puttied all holes and gave everything a final coat.

image.jpg

image.jpg

i know have ample storage and a fitting piece for the room. We have put all the board games inside which makes for easy access on game night. It’s a large wall and I think the laminex finishes it off otherwise it would look a little blank.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tv Cabinet with Awesome Laminex Surround Back Panel!

What a stunning centrepiece you've created for your room @RainbowDiY. I love the use of the Laminex Surround panel, as it adds so much interest to the wall.

Many thanks for sharing, and well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects