Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Queen bed upcycled coastal style

Milly1
Finding My Feet

Queen bed upcycled coastal style

I bought an old brown timber bed on Gumtree as well as an old sliding door as I wanted to see if I could use the door to convert the old bed into a coastal style bed and it would save both items from landfill. I cut damaged edges from the old door and used it to create the headboard and the footboard with a coastal look.

Steps

Step 1

I bought an old brown timber bed frame on Gumtree and an old slightly damaged sliding door.Bed door.jpg

Step 2

I pulled the bed apart, sanded each piece back to raw timber, trimmed the damaged edge from the sliding door and cut the door into pieces for the headboard and the footboard.Bed3.jpg

Step 3

I placed the door pieces inside the bed frame and attached the pieces with dowel and glue. The dowel centre points were invaluable in making this step easy.  I used melamine edge tape to cover the centre join which I glued on with Selleys Hold Up. I then cut the timber crosspieces to the correct length and re assembled the bed.Bed6.jpg

Step 4

Once the headboard and footboard were complete and re fixed into the frame with extra timber supports, I painted the entire bed with British Paints Water Based Enamel in white semi gloss. Bed10.jpg

Step 5

After the paint had dried I reassembled the bed ready to insert the slats and the project was done.Bed9.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Queen bed upcycled coastal style

Hello @Milly1 

What an outstanding effort! That has to be one of the most creative uses of a sliding door profile I've ever seen. I was originally hesitant about your combining the two materials together but am glad to be proven wrong. It just looks amazing and literally gives out the coastal vibe. I'm also very impressed with your paint stripping efforts, did you sand it, or did you chemically strip it? Overall, an amazing transformation effort and an ingenious way to combine two products together.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Queen bed upcycled coastal style

Hi Eric, thank you for your kind words about my project. I sanded the bed timbers back completely with my old Ryobi orbital sander which was easier than I thought as the stain wasn't too thick and once it was pulled apart I could sand each piece. I didn't sand the door back at all as the damage was only on the edges which I cut off. I just painted the entire bed once it was finished with the British Paints water based enamel from Bunnings which I use a lot as it seems to be a good quality paint at an affordable price. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects