Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop aluminium sliding doors from leaking?

Russ42
Having an Impact

How to stop aluminium sliding doors from leaking?

I have been trying for 7 years to stop the frame of 2 sets of aluminium sliding doors from leaking when it rains. I understand there should be a waterproof sill under them and I am trying to avoid removing the frame and putting one in as I think it could be opening a can of worms. The 4 pieces of the frame are simply butted together and I have removed the old silicon several times and replaced it with limited success. Once again I have removed the old silicon to try it again. Nothing that I have tried seems to dissolve the old silicon. What can you recommend re cleaning the area properly (I have tried Turps, Metho, acetate). What product would you recomment to reseal it (I have used several silicons including Roof and Gutter Silicon and I think a Sikens sealant.IMG_4405.JPGIMG_4406.JPG

Re: Stop aluminium sliding doors from leaking

You have it, Mitchel. I have hosed the door and the water does appear to come from the join in the frame but the frame is close to the inside floor so it is hard to see. The concrete certainly gets wet in that vacinity first. When I did this test there was another aluminium profile which clipped into the bottom track which inhibited air flow under the door. Including this in this discussion would have just been confusing and the only part it played was it dammed the water up and let it slowly seep out through the holes in the frame joint I am trying to clog up, which was very frustrating until I found this out. I am just waiting for the metho to dry up and I will silicone it and do this hose test tomorrow when the silicon has set. I couldn't clean out all the gel and old silicon so am crossing everything..... I will probably have to take them out and put a pan (?) under the whole thing.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Russ42 

I was thinking about your flooding channel last night and was wondering if it would be possible to put another drain point at the other end of the channel rail. In this manner there will be two exit points for the water should it start to fill up. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. I have put the silicone into the joint and will endeavor to pool the water using gaffa tape and see if it still leaks. Am working on finishing the floating floor so will be a few days before I can try it. Thanks for your help!

Russ42
Having an Impact

Eric, the other end has the same problem but not as bad...and there is a whole other pair of doors to do. The channels the previous owner put in are of limited use but pooling was a significant problem, but not so much to do with those door tracks,

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects