Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal timber window frames?

SarahKnights
Just Starting Out

How to seal timber window frames?

IMG_7462.jpeg

IMG_7468.jpeg

IMG_7467.jpeg

IMG_7472.jpeg

   

Hi all, I have timber window frames throughout my house and have noticed some black marks along where the window sits on the window frame. The timber is stained and varnished but I am unsure of what products were used as ai blight the house like this. I’m thinking condensation has sat around the window and resulted in mould growth, and possible moisture has gotten in underneath the varnish. I have scrubbed and scrubbed but obviously because of the varnish it won’t come out. I have used vinegar to try and kill mould if it is mould. I have sanded a small patch to see if it helps which I think it has but I’m wondering if anyone has any good tips or ideas on how to rectify this problem. I believe the timber is maple wood. Also can you caulk around windows? On some of the windows (the worse ones) there are tiny gaps between the window and the window frame. I was hoping to rectify the problem and then fill the tiny gaps somehow. Thanks in advance! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal timber window frames?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SarahKnights. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about window frames.

This looks more like built-up varnish that has discoloured and darkened rather than mould. The area you've sanded has cleaned up really well, and there doesn't appear to be any water damage. However, you're right that condensation normally makes a home in such areas.

If you were to continue sanding these areas, you'd probably need to consider sanding all of the frame and re-coating. You might struggle to touch up these corners with a convincingly similar stain. Once you've cleaned up the frame and coated it, you can seal any gaps, and a clear wet area silicone would be the correct product to use. Here's a helpful guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects