Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove wardrobe door frame?

DIYDONT
Finding My Feet

How to remove wardrobe door frame?

16642732533137812608675109605936.jpg

16642733019457203012963267221243.jpg

We want to install a built-in wardrobe in our bedroom to replace the existing pictured setup. What is the best approach to remove the current door frame so the the sliding door track can be installed? It seems to be mad or steel and there are no obvious screws or access points. 

Hopefully not a nail bar or angle grinder job as hoping to avoid repainting. Ideally the centre door support could be removed and sliding door track installed without modifying the overall frame.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to remove wardrobe door frame?

Hi @DIYDONT,

First, let me welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have decided to join and ask your wardrobe door frame question. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice on all things DIY and garden. 

Our resident DIY guru @MitchellMc will be back online in a couple of days so let me tag a few of our knowledgeable members @TedBear@JoeAzza@TheRenoDad to see if they have any advice. In the meantime, check out this how to install a sliding wardrobe door video as it may spark some ideas. Also, our Workshop members love a good storage solution so please post some photos of your new wardrobe when finished. 

If you ever have questions about Workshop or need assistance with the site, please feel free to reach out. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @DIYDONT, thankyou @KatieC @for replying to your request.

to find out if the frame is made of metal, try a magnet to see if it sticks to the frame, a fridge magnet will work to see if it is metal, then test the door jamb to see if that is metal also. If not you can look for any screws that were cover up with a filler , remove any screws that hold the the door jamb, and leave the rest of the frame work, the wardrobe installer should be able to mount the track onto the frame, hopefully this helps.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @DIYDONT 

I agree that it certainly looks like it will be a steel frame, based on the thinness of the middle door support.

It looks like you will have to cut that support off. You could then, as JoeAzza has said, insert the sliding door rails into the existing frame.

It could mean attaching a strip of wood to fill in the gap along the top rail and attaching the top slider rail to that, but you'd need to see the sliding door fittings to see what is actually needed.

Thanks @TedBear and @JoeAzza. Your suspensions are correct. The frame is metal. The idea of cutting out the middle door support and installing wood to extend the area for the door track is not my first preference as it will stick out from the wall. 

Looks like I will have to do a proper job and remove the frame - how likely is it that this frame is load bearing? The area above it is most certainly solid. From more internet research this is a standard Perth installation if that helps.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @DIYDONT , just to clarify... my suggestion regarding the timber strip was about inserting it within the frame top to fill in the u shaped gap that appears to be there.  It wouldn't stick out at all. It would just provide a flat surface to attach the sliding doors' upper guide to. But it may not even be needed if the guide fits into that u shaped gap ok.. 

Removing the frame will likely cause damage as the bricks above it at least are likely to be supported by it.  (I doubt that it's a structural support, but best left undisturbed anyway. )

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYDONT,

When you say, "The area above it is most certainly solid", do you mean that it is brick? If it is, I wouldn't recommend cutting the frame out unless there is some other lintel supporting the bricks above. Before proceeding with your project, it might be best to check with a builder. 

Mitchell

DIYDONT
Finding My Feet

Thanks all for the replies - I'll post some pictures of the finished product. will be installing shelving and drawers inside first and then see how we go with the angle grinder for some doors. Heres to hoping the bricks don't come down :wink:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@DIYDONT,

I wouldn't advise you to install shelving and drawers before trying to cut the door frame away. Removing the frame is a significant piece of work that will damage the plaster on the inside and outside of the closet and expose some untidy bricks. The frame will also be filled with brickies mud, and brick ties will be holding it into the brickwork. By its very nature, the door frame forms a weight-bearing lintel at the top as the first course of bricks above it are placed on the frame. Bear in mind that the door frame is a C-channel which covers up the unsightly brick edges. There isn't a perfect cutout in the wall with a doorframe inserted into it. After you remove the steel frame, which will be a considerable amount of work, you'll then need to install a timber frame and architrave to cover everything up.

I'd suggest that if there is any possible way you can leave the steel frame there, do so. That will likely come down to what sort of door and railing you select.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects