Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove door?

renegade2k
Finding My Feet

How to remove door?

I have a sliding patio door that i am trying to remove as the rollers are not working properly. I have tried a number of methods to remove the door including retracting rollers at the top and the bottom but still cannot remove the door. It seems as though the handle part on the door does not allow it to be lifted high enough as it hits the frame. I have tried at a number of different points along the tracks to lift it but still no luck. Any suggestions on how to resolve this? the attached image shows the handle on the left side and is the full height of the door.

IMG20240906122746.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Handle on door stopping it from being removed

Hi @renegade2k,

Typically, with the bottom and top rollers fuller retracted, you should be able to lift the door up into the top track enough for the bottom edge of the door to be pulled out of the lower track. If the handle section is hitting the top track prior to the lower edge of the door having enough clearance to be pulled out that is a bit peculiar.

Can the handle section be removed? If not, I'd be tempted to cut a small notch out of the handle at the top to allow the required lifting amount.

Be careful when working around glass as it can shatter easily. Remember your PPE including safety glasses, cut resistant gloves, a long-sleeved shirt, trousers and enclosed footwear. If you are not confident in removing the door yourself I suggest enlisting the services of a professional.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Handle on door stopping it from being removed

thanks Mitchell. I cant see any simple way to remove it unfortunately but will have another look. It does hit well before the bottom clears. Thanks for the reply

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects