Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to raise the height of a single bed?

Ingsy
Finding My Feet

How to raise the height of a single bed?

I have a single bed ensemble with two mattresses with a wooden frame base, sitting on 6 legs with wheels. it has a wooden bedhead i bought, that, i'd like to raise the bed to the highest setting - which will mean, 28cm from the ground. the legs have a 5cm plastic section with 4 corner screws, where the leg wheels, screw in the centre. 

How do i raise this bed up?

when i bought the bedhead originally, they did have long legs with wheels i could have bought, but, i didnt think to buy them at the time & the store, has since gone.

the bed is too low to the ground & by raising it, will also mean, i can put 3 plastic underbed storage boxes under, which i really need too. i also, hit my head, on the taller bedside tables on the odd occasion & is hard to see the bedside clock etc.

the bed doesnt have to have wheels, i can always put 'gliding coasters' under any legs without wheels. 

any help, soo much appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to raise the height of a single bed?

Hello @Ingsy 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about raising your bed.

I suggest looking at the Slipstick 76mm Black Furniture Riser and the Slipstick 50mm Black Furniture Riser. Ideal for lifting a table for wheelchair access or even lifting a table to a more convenient height although it’s main use is to raise the bed height and creating storage. this would be the straightforward method, without requiring you to build anything.

Another method is to install timber risers for the legs of the bed, it will be necessary to remove the wheels of the bed so that the risers will fit onto the existing legs. One other way to do it is to remove the legs all together and attaching new timber legs for the bed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ingsy
Finding My Feet

thanks for this wonderful info.

i measured the bed legs, without the wheels & theyre 9cm.

these slipstick furniture rises sound great - can i stack them to get the height needed?

the heavy wooden bedhead, has a solid metal L shaped bracket, that i put the mattress base on & then screw the leg into.

i need to get the height to 28cm, so this works. 

if i can get these risers to work, can i put those furniture gliders under each one, so they can slide on the carpet, when i need to move the bed once a year?

hard to understand, that a plastic product works, for such a solid bed, but, i'm happy to give this a go, 

i'm happy to give, anything a go, that will get the height & easy to install, as i'm not hardware literate etc.

any more info & links to get this to the height, would be wonderful!

thanks

Inger

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ingsy,

The Slipstick furniture risers cannot have furniture glides placed under them as they are quite wide at the base. They are also not designed to be stacked. However, they can have legs with castor wheels placed on them. So, you'd have the 17cm riser, 9cm leg, and then the height of your castor. If you are trying to achieve 28cm from the ground, then we should be getting very close.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi!

thanks for your reply.

the leg with wheel, is 13cm high.

unfortunately, the headboard bracket, only has leeway horizontally, not vertically, so i need the bed to be raised as close to 28cm as possible & the bed needs to be moved once a year, for pest inspection etc.

is there a product, that will allow this?

hopefully, there'll be something, that will allow this, really need this to happen.

thanks

Inger

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ingsy,

If the leg is 13cm and the riser is 17cm, that would be a height of 30cm, which is about as close as you'd be able to achieve to 28cm. Or do you need to raise the bed 28cm above the 13cm, so 41cm total?

It sounds like you might need to consider a more robust solution to raising the existing legs. As @ErciL mentioned, replacing the legs entirely might be the better option. This would likely require a handy person to fix the legs to your existing frame, or come up with a mounting solution.

Mitchell

thanks for all this info.

i made a slight mistake, i only need 23cm under bed gap, as i'll connect the bed bracket, to the top hole, being used now & the bottom of the two top holes not in use now, i dont need to move it up to the top two unused bed head holes.

just got to work out, the best mix of what Bunnings has to do this.

thanks

Inger

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ingsy 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your bed raised to your desired height.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects