Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to polish mid-century metal handles?

LolaC
Just Starting Out

How to polish mid-century metal handles?

IMG_6192.jpeg

IMG_6191.jpeg

IMG_6190.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

   

Hi there!

I am restoring a mid century vanity and I would love some suggestions on how to bring back the shine and a cleaner metallic look to the starburst handles and metallic legs.

Thanks for your help, 

Lola

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to polish mid century metal handles

Hi @LolaC,

Thank you for your question about restoring mid-century metal handles and furniture legs.

The legs look like they are brass. You can confirm this by putting some vinegar on a cotton ball and gently rubbing the metal. If it turns green, then it is most likely brass.

For brass, clean with warm soapy water and a soft cloth to remove any dirt or contaminants. Dry thoroughly with paper towels before applying Brasso Metalware Polish with a microfibre cloth in a circular motion.

The handles look like they may be wrought iron. If you have a magnet handy, this will help confirm this.

If they are iron as I suspect, wet sanding with a very fine grit sandpaper such as this 1200 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll will remove the dullness but should be done very sparingly to avoid removing more than the smallest amount of the metal. You can then use Autosol Shine Chrome And Metal Polish with a microfibre cloth to really bring out the shine.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects