Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount wall mirror to a metal stud wall?

foxhound
Growing in Experience

How to mount wall mirror to a metal stud wall?

I am wanting to mount a wall mirror (12KGs) to a metal stud wall. What type of screws and drill bits should I use.

I have self tapping Zenith 8G 30mm screws at home, would it suffice the need or do I have to use 50mm instead to fasten them in to the stud. Can we use impact driver to drive these screws directly in to the stud ? Is there any other way to have it mounted with out drilling in to the stud ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to mount wall mirror to a metal stud wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @foxhound. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hanging a mirror on the wall.

You might like to read through this helpful guide on How to hang just about anything

You can fix into metal studs with self-tapping screws. 30mm should be just enough to go through the 10mm plasterboard and into the stud. It will also allow a small amount to stick out of the wall for hanging the mirror on. To be on the safe side, you could go for the 50mm so you have more length to play with. You'd install the screws with a drill driver. Or, if you have a variable-speed impact driver, you could use it. It's important not to run the drill at high speed as it will burn out the screw head. Some impact drivers are just off and full speed.

These GripIt plasterboard fixings would allow you to hang your mirror on the plasterboard. The blue versions allow you to hang up to a whopping 60kg. The GripIt 15mm Yellow Plasterboard Fixing would be suitable for your mirror as it has a capacity of 30kg. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects