Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install timber slat feature wall and shelf in guest room?

Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

How to install timber slat feature wall and shelf in guest room?

Hi, I am looking to install a feature timber panel in my guest room to help break up the white cold gyprock feeling. I came across this product, link below.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/prempanel-2700-x-600-x-21mm-oak-timber-acoustic-panel_p0455959

I am looking to cover the wall only 1.2m high (right above the GPO) x 3.2m long as a bed will be placed right behind the GPO in the sketch below. Any thoughts or recommendations on this?

I am also looking to install a narrow shelf above the 1.2m timber panel wall where small paintings and like could be placed on top. Any suggestions for a 3.2m narrow shelf that will sit on top of the timber panel wall feature?

Yangaz_0-1725189438204.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to install timber slat feature wall and shelf in guest room?

EVening @JoeAzza 

Love those shelves :smile: They look sturdy as!

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Yangaz I'm well behind on this project sorry. I've used this paneling numerous times now and love the ease of use and the look. My last project was to install it in an alfresco ceiling. Wasn't easy but worth the effort for a mate of mines place.

It's not a great product to trim to length as the backing is actually thick foam material and the panels are MDF with an ultra thin timber look vinyl. Best way to cut it is face down using a fine toothed (40tct+) circular saw blade. Then use the cut edge on the bottom and the machine edge being the cleanest on top.

To get that effect of the LED strip light, use a sharp hobby knife and cut a channel out from the back (see profile photo below.) This will conceal the light from the front but will reflect the glow vertically as per your sample photo.

For the light itself, I highly recommend the Tapo/TP Link products. The app work very well as do all their products. I have lots of strip lights and smart plugs in my own home and just installed one in a stone wall pelmet. The strip light can be adjusted by the app to change colours and brightness and schedule on/off times. Also Google and Alexa compatible.

To cut the opening for the GPO, remove the cover plate and use it as a cut out template. Again you will need to cut the opening from the back side to avoid the panel strips splitting open which is easy to do. Use a jigsaw to make the cuts.

Then use liquid nails to fix the panels to the wall.

Nailbag

IMG_8978.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 9.49.57 PM.png

IMG_6575.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Yangaz 

I'm sorry but the shop saws are too rough for the Prempanel and will not be able to cut it. You'll need a circular saw with a fine-tooth blade to effectively cut the the panel.  As for the LED lights there are dozens to choose from at the store, it all depends on the length and function you want in the lights. For example, the Mirabella Genio 3m Wi-Fi LED Strip Light is easy to install and works with WiFi and allows you to turn it off on your phone app.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Nailbag, thanks for the detailed info. I really like how you did the profile cut in the foam to place the LED strip to reflect up the wall, might not even need an LED diffuser with it concealed like this! nice job.

Good tip about cutting it face down, I was watching videos of circular saws being used for melamine shelves and how it was chipping away! so a good tip. Would you remove the skirting at the bottom and then attach the paneling? I've read somewhere that by doing this it gives it a much more cleaner look?

Thanks again!

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Yes spot on mate definitely remove the skirt @Yangaz. and using a fully programable strip light means you don't have to use a diffuser. Ive installed these stacks of times and just come up with some form of shield to prevent the strip being visually seen at any angle. 

Make sure the panel is dead flat and apply a straight edge to stop it lifting just back from your cut line and clear of the saw base. If you apply blue painters tape to the cut line on the good side, that will also help splintering.

Send through photos of the finished product with the light on 👍

Nailbag

Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Nailbag 

You seem like a detail person. How would you cut the bottom skirt to fit in the feature timber panel? See the diagram below showing a detail of the bottom skirt (top-down view). Given the timber slats is 21mm.

Yangaz_0-1725325337807.png

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Yangaz what's the floor covering in that room, carpet or solid (timber, tile etc)?

Nailbag

Yangaz
Cultivating a Following

Hi @Nailbag 

The flooring is vinyl cladding.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Yangaz 

There are a couple of articles worth a read on how to remove skirting. There is this one from a member post. And this one from Bunnings both worth watching.

The issue with prying the skiting from between the plasterboard wall and arc is that you will crush the plasterboard and inevitably go through it in places. This is not an issue when you're covering the wall and don't have to repair the wall. 

When there is a solid floor I like to pry the skirting up so no wall damage the than scratches. Just protect the floor as you go. I still run a blade along the top painted edge and the corner mitre joins. The issue with prying outwards the skirting is the ends are within the mitre so you will need to cut them, which you need to do anyway as per below.

If you have a multitool you can use the blade to cut the mitre. If you don't have a multitool in your powertool collection and do a lot of DIY, then do yourself a favour and invest in one. I use mine all the time! The Multitool will also allow you to easily cut the rebates at the ends of the left and right skirting to accomodate the panel.

Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 5.48.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 5.59.44 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 6.04.52 PM.png

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @Yangaz 

To add to ways I have removed skirting board without breaking it and doing too bad a job on the wall :surprised: 

- I used a wide plaster spatula and tapped it down between wall and skirt, then I could get a larger wide flatblade screwdriver between them so I didnt leaver into a small spot but the force was spread out over the plaster. I started in the middle of the wall and worked my way to the corners much like a foot one side of the halfway mark then the other then back to the first side. The piece could be pulled out like a bannana if I took it slowly.

Since you are putting the soundproofing down to the floor you could cut off the very ends of the skirt or leave them as they will be covered (with a little trim) in case you one day want to put the skirt back.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects