Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a 65-inch TV?

DYIRach
Just Starting Out

How to hang a 65-inch TV?

We are hanging our 65inch TV using the bracket that came with the TV. The set came with 8 wall screws. We've located two studs, one in the left and one on the right. The stud on the left is rather wide and we've managed to get 4 (2 on top, 2 on bottom of bracket) screws solidly into the stud. The left side is a normal width so we can put 2 screws in. We were trying to put the remaining 2 in the plasterboard but has issues with the wall plugs grinding the plaster when the screw went in. We would love some tips to do this. We predrilled a smaller hole before putting in the wall plug and needed to hammer the last bit in.

The other question we have is would 6 screws be enough if they are all in the studs? 

20240728_221150.jpg

20240728_221237.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang a 65-inch TV?

Hi @DYIRach,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The manufacturer of the bracket will have conducted their own testing to ensure that the method of fixing to the studs is safe and warrantable. I'd suggest reading through the instruction manual to see what they require in terms of the number of screws for this to be a warrantable installation.

Most TV mounting brackets that I have come across, are only wide enough to reach 2 studs, and studs are typically either 35mm or 45mm wide, so I find it a bit odd that they would include 8 screws.

These plugs are not the style that would typically be used with plasterboard. I believe they were included if the installation is into a masonry wall such as brick or besser blocks.

6 screws of a suitable size that are firmly into timber studs should be plenty, but if you have some concerns, I suggest reaching out to the manufacturer for their comment.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Re: How to hang a 65-inch TV?

@DYIRach - 4 is good. I have a 75 on 4 studs standing for years. It even has 5* tilt. You can put 4 more in plasterboard using these if you want (but not needed)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects