Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a paint rip?

Ligey
Just Starting Out

How to fix a paint rip?

Was putting up a picture in my lounge using picture hooks and managed to rip off the paint while readjusting the frame.

How do I fix this wall?

IMG_20230424_094003.jpg

IMG_20230424_093950.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a paint rip?

Hello @Ligey 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about patching up a paint rip on your wall.

The adhesive on those wall hooks can sometimes be very strong, potent enough that it rips the paint right off. I suggest taking a small sample of the paint that has been ripped off, about the size of a ten-cent coin. You'll need to bring this sample to the stores paint department so that they can colour match your paint.

The next step is to sand the damaged area with a 240 grit sandpaper in conjunction with a Paint Partner Cork Sanding Block. Sand only the damaged area just enough to remove the loose parts of the torn paint. If the paint layer is noticeable, it might be necessary to apply a thin layer of Poly 100g Plaster Cracks Filler

Once the filler dries you can then sand down the area so that it is in the same level as the wall. Clean the area very well with a clean damp rag. Let the area dry off before you paint the repair coat.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects