Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fill in large gaps between the wall and skirting?

CP83
Just Starting Out

How do I fill in large gaps between the wall and skirting?

Hi, I'm in a 1970's house with original skirting. I'm wanting to paint them, however the caulking was done terribly before us in some rooms.

IMG_2238.JPGIMG_2239.JPG

I've removed it, however it has now left quite a large gap. What can I use to fill the gap before caulking? Or is something like No More Gaps efficient for the size of the gaps?

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fill in large gaps between the wall and skirting?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @CP83. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling a gap.

The quad moulding is quite separated from the wall. I would imagine that it would have been flush with it when it was originally installed. This could indicate a bit of movement in the wall. First, I'll get you to check that the moulding is firmly attached and can't be pushed back against the wall. If it's not firmly attached, you might need to re-fix it with nails or consider removing and re-installing it. Alternatively, you can fill this gap with a caulking product. Obviously, the wider the gap, the less visually appealing the filling job will be, so it's best to first check that the moulding is installed correctly. I'd suggest using Selleys 480g White 3-in-1 Silicone Sealant and following this guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects