Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Guest bedroom makeover with feature wall

tameerene
Getting Established

Guest bedroom makeover with feature wall

Our Guest Bedroom needed an update and as we often have friends and family come to stay, I was wanting to add character and warmth to the room by creating a feature wall. Using Porta Pine Panel Moulding from Bunnings we (hubby and I) created these beautiful panels on the wall which emphasizes the elegant wall sconces we also had installed. I chose to paint the wall in a divine muted, mossy green tone 'Green Result' by British Paints. Being budget conscious though we chose the brand Spring flat interior paint from Bunnings which under $20.00 for 4 litres is an absolute steel! I was so impressed by this paint too! It had amazing coverage and the most divine, silky matt finish. I completed the room by styling with some new bedlinen and decor pieces which bought everything together. This was such a simple, cost-effective project that could easily be done in a weekend with such amazing results!

Steps

Step 1

MARKING OUT POSITIONING OF MOULDING ON WALLMARKING OUT POSITIONING OF MOULDING ON WALLCUTTING MOULDING TO SIZE & MITERINGCUTTING MOULDING TO SIZE & MITERINGINSTALLING MOULDINGINSTALLING MOULDINGREADY TO START PAINTINGREADY TO START PAINTINGCUTTING IN EDGES WIRTH PAINTCUTTING IN EDGES WIRTH PAINTFINAL STYLED ROOM-MAKEOVER COMPLETEFINAL STYLED ROOM-MAKEOVER COMPLETE

1. Clean out room and sugar soap wall and skirtings to remove any dust

2. Measure out and draw where you would like the Moulding to be placed.

3. Cut Moulding to size & install using liquid nails or nail gun (hubby used a nail gun)

4. No more gap where Moulding meets wall so there are no gaps. This step is crucial for a professional finish.

5. Mask up wall if needed - we did as I was painting a darker feature colour I wanted a crisp clean line where the walls meet in the corners plus using tape is far easier than trying to cut in perfectly.

6. Start by painting one coat on your moulding, then cut in all your edges then roll main areas.

7. Apply two coats of paint. 3 if needed if coverage is uneven.

8. Allow a good 24 hours to dry.

9. Clean room.

10. Bring back in your furniture and style!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Guest bedroom makeover with feature wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tameerene. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your terrific project.

What an amazing transformation! The mouldings have certainly added plenty of character to the room. I trust many of our members will be considering something similar for their own homes.

Well done, and thanks again for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dons-Glenno
Growing in Experience

Looks great! Absolutely love your style and the wall colour is gorgeous.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind comments :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects