Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bleached furniture makeover

daniknight4
Becoming a Leader

Bleached furniture makeover

Every girl deserves a makeover at some point in their lives I think๐Ÿ˜. I really enjoyed doing this little makeover and I've always wanted to try the household bleaching method to lighten timber once it's sanded back. I bleached the top and painted the base, added a few accessories and it's just so pretty. I think I might have to start selling these upcycles but I can't bring myself too once they're done, I love them too much๐Ÿ˜‚. This little one is in the hall entry way and that's where she'll stay๐Ÿ˜‚.I've always wanted to try bleaching timber and it really does take out any orange or yellow stains.I've always wanted to try bleaching timber and it really does take out any orange or yellow stains.

She was still pretty before...She was still pretty before...

...but now she's pretty pretty and greets people when they come into the home!...but now she's pretty pretty and greets people when they come into the home!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bleached furniture makeover

Lovely rejuvenation, @daniknight4! I love the shade of pink you've chosen. Does it have a name?

Could you tell us a little bit more about the bleaching process? Many of our members would be intrigued to hear about it. Did it take a long time? Did you have to do multiple coats? 

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @MitchellMc .The paint is called Rose Pink, it's a chalk paint from Kmart. I've never bleached timber before and when I first heard about it I thought it sounded weird๐Ÿ˜ but it really works. I just used $2

household bleach and painted it on the sanded top with a paint brush. I let this dry in the sun, it didn't take long and then I repeated this step three times or until you greet the look you want. It not only lightens the timber but it gets rid of that orange colour. I then wiped it down with a wet rag,  let that dry and then sanded it lightly again because the bleaching made it feel a bit rough. I then rubbed in two coats of beeswax which gave me the result you see in the photos. In the video I show you step by step the process๐Ÿ˜Š

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @daniknight4

Thank you very much for that extra information about your bleached furniture makeover. It's interesting that you mentioned that it got rid of the orange colour, do you mean that it removed the stain on top of the timber? That is a very fascinating effect of the bleach on timber. 

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@EricL Thank you. I'm not sure what it was,  it could have been from the stain, some spots were darker than others. The bleach tended to even out the colour and also lighten it๐Ÿ˜Š

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects