Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are fluorescent light fittings with no covers safe?

Gillo
Just Starting Out

Are fluorescent light fittings with no covers safe?

Hi, I'm moving into a very old disused classroom that is being resurrected due to roll growth. The light fittings are 4 fluorescent lights, single tube, with no covers hanging down on chains from the ceiling. My question is, is this legal in terms of health and safety? The principal is just doing his best with no money. However with neurodiverse children being an ever increasing reality the potential for a ball or other object to smash the fluorescent tube above children working, is a hazard I can't discount. Is there a really cheap solution please, as I am considering using the small budget I have for resources to rather prioritise health and safety.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fluorescent Light Fittings in old Classroom

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Gillo. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about light fittings.

The lights themselves would likely be compliant with Australian codes. However, whether they are compliant with the organisation's internal health and safety standards, policies, and procedures would need to be self-assessed. If there is a significant risk of a ball damaging the light fittings, then you might like to take action to mitigate that risk.

There's no cheap solution I can think of other than not allowing balls in the classroom. The most appropriate solution is likely to have the lights replaced with ceiling units with impact-resistant covers. 

I'll reach out via private message to put you in touch with the Activities Organiser at your local Bunnings store. We are always delighted to assist local schools and regularly donate goods to assist with their operation. Let's see how we might be able to help. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects