Workshop
Ask a question

What is this mesh behind my kitchen splashback?

Cat234
Growing in Experience

What is this mesh behind my kitchen splashback?

IMG_4321.jpeg

Hi all, I decided to have a go and start removing the current splashback tiles, with the intention of retiling w something more up to date. However I’ve found this strange mesh behind the tiles. They aren’t coming off easily at all, and when they do it seems to take the paper off the plasterboard behind:  I’m wondering if they’ve used a tile mosaic- so all the tiles came as one piece with mesh on the back? If that’s the case it would explain why the tiles are refusing to pop off one by one easily as they do in the videos! 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is this mesh behind my kitchen splashback?

Hi @Cat234,

Thank you for your question about the mesh you've found behind your kitchen splashback.

I'm not 100% sure what it is but it's no cause for concern. Since you are planning on retiling the wall, any damage it might cause is pretty easy to fix and cover-up. 

It may be an adhesive mesh backing often seen on mosaic tiles, but the tile I can see looks fairly large, so I'd be surprised if they were mosaic tiles.

Another possibility is that it's Builders Edge 50mm x 20m Fibreglass Builders Joint Tape which is used to strengthen plaster joins.

You should continue with the demo and if there's anything of particular concern, post some photos and I'd be happy to help you fix them.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects