Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove dishwasher rack rust?

Meg5
Just Starting Out

How to remove dishwasher rack rust?

Looking for something equivalent to ReRack (vinyl rack repair) to coat dishwasher rack prongs that have rusted (will remove rust with steel wool first) - prefer nail polish / paint on type applicator as opposed to aerosol. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dishwasher rack rust

Hi @Meg5,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a product with this specific purpose.

My suggestion would be to contact the dishwasher's manufacturer to see if they can send you a replacement rack.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas, @Dave-1, @DIYGnome, @elbow.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to remove dishwasher rack rust?

Afternoon @Meg5 

Mmmmm I think I know what you are after and must admit it would be nice to know a product to use.

I went looking for rubberised paint and came back to this eventually Rust-Oleum 340g White Leakseal Rubberised Coating Spray 

Please Note! Its definently "outside scope of use" but thinking outside the box and possibilities. I am not sure how it would stand up in a dishwasher/damage a dishwasher or seperating away from the metal.

Also if the rack prongs have rusted within a dishwasher it suggests to me that they are faulty as they should only be stainless and something has gone wrong with the manufacturing process. At the very leasy the rust needs to be treated more then just removing first. Not sure of what food grade type material would be accptable. 

All my answers keep coming back to "food grade" as you want it to be able to used around human consumption items, none of my ideas specify that :/.

Dave

elbow
Building a Reputation

Hi @Meg5,

I would have thought vinyl paint would be useful for the recoating. RE-rack sounds perfect, is there a reason you're not using this?

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @Meg5 TBH I've never owned a dishwasher and only operated a Commerical type in a work place so not something I'm overly familiar with, given there is no supplied photos to illustrate the extent of the corrosion I can only provide a best guess, have you considered a prong repair kit?

There are kits like these available online and likely through the special order department at Bunnings as well (as seen below) 👍

71F+6JuXEWL._AC_SX679_.jpg

How to fix rusty dishrack?

I have a small piece on the dishwasher rack where the plastic has split and started to rust. A replacement rack would cost more than $100 dollar.
i am hoping to get some advice on after removing the rust, what should the remaining metal be covered with?

Something that would withstand the heat and not be toxic. 

IMG_7382.jpeg

IMG_7384.jpeg

IMG_7383.jpeg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix rusty dishrack

Hello @softsquares 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your dishrack.

I'm sorry, but I'm currently not aware of a product that will stop the rusting on your dishrack. Unfortunately, most of the repair items I'm aware of are not food safe or made to operate in high temperatures. It's possible for you to sand down the rusted parts, but it will eventually come back.

I'm afraid I can only suggest that you replace the rack with a new set. You can at least be sure that the new rack will give you a few years of service and be safe to use.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects