Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap between benchtop and VJ panels?

Lilyisaway
Getting Established

How to fill gap between benchtop and VJ panels?

Hi all! Happy sunday 🌞

So I've made the rookie mistake of getting my vj panel cut a little too short to cover the benchtop wall. Prior, the kitchen bad a raised bar and I decided to get it removed and install an new benchtop that extended out.

Rather than trying to fill in the areas that was impacted from the demo, I decided I wanted to cover it completely with vj panels as I saw projects on here and it looked really nice and thought it would work with the new kitchen.

So I got my brothers to help cut the panels but got the dimensions a bit off and now there's about a 17mm gap between the panel and the benchtop. 

IMG20230319135305.jpg

IMG20230319135300.jpg

I was thinking getting a

a moulding/skirting strip at the bottom or top in place of that gap but wanted to get some suggestions from the community as to what would be most appropriate for this situation.

Please no mean or rude comments i admit my fault and inexperience hahaba 🥴

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas to fill/hide gap between benchtop and vj panel

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lilyisaway. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling gaps in VJ panelling.

Our community is full of helpful and like-minded members who are all here to help each other out.

Adding an LOSP moulding to the top or bottom or both would be quite acceptable in this scenario, and personally, I actually like that look. You can install the panelling without mouldings but need exceptionally tight tolerances and neat cuts. It's far easier to just add mouldings to cover any inconsistencies. It's up to you what size you use; something like the 42 x 11mm 5.4m H3 Treated Pine FJ DAR Primed LOSP would look quite nice. I'd suggest you place the moulding at the bottom as the underside of the bench is flatter than your tiles. You never know, you might like the look and decide to add a moulding under the bench too.

This is an easily fixed error, and I'm sure your work will look amazing. Please keep us updated and reach out if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fill gap between benchtop and VJ panels?

I don't think you'll find any "mean or rude comments" on Workshop @Lilyisaway - this is an incredibly supportive and encouraging community. After all, we all have to start somewhere. 

I also think you've done a great job and am looking forward to seeing the finished product. 

Jason

Lilyisaway
Getting Established

I admit was hesitating quite a bit whether to make this post (the internet can be a scary place sometimes!) But I'm so glad I did and from what I've seen so far it really is such a wholesome community :smile: 

Thank you @MitchellMc and @Jason for such a warm welcome! The advice is greatly appreciated and very helpful (exactly what I was hoping to receive from here)!! I think I will go with the moulding on bottom. Let's see how I go....will give an update once it's done. 

Thanks again for the help ☺️

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Lilyisaway 

There's no need to worry, we're here to help. I've drawn up a quick sketch of your table to give you an idea of what it might look like with the skirting board attached to the bottom.

If you have any other questions we can help you with, please let us know.

Eric

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@Lilyisaway 
great to see that help from all, Jo make lots of mistakes too, but that’s how learn, don’t give up.

just a suggestion, I would prepaint the vj panel prior to installing the skirting board, much easier than painting after install, especially painting those gaps in the vj panel.

Lilyisaway
Getting Established

Thank you for the visual Eric! The skirting board definitely gives it a nice touch. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects