Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can i use SpecRite Teak Panel as a chopping board?

Lisar
Just Starting Out

Can i use SpecRite Teak Panel as a chopping board?

Hi, 

I am wondering if I can use the Teak Fj Glulam panel as a chopping board. I am wondering if the glue is food safe? 
I can see that it says class A glue but can only see that, that is for weathering. 
Advice would be greatly appreciated. 
Lisa 

image.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can i use SpecRite Teak Panel as a chopping board?

Hi @Lisar,

Many thanks for joining the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you with us. 

When we've had similar questions about other Specrite panels, the advice has been to sand them back to bare timber and then apply a food-safe oil such as Feast Watson 250ml Kitchen Timber Oil.

A couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so apologies that there might be a bit of a delay before one can get back to you and confirm. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lisar
Just Starting Out

Hi Jason, 

thank you for that. I just wasn’t sure about the glue that holds the panels together. 
regards Lisa

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @Lisar 

It sounds like an interesting project, please don't forget to post a photo update once you've made the chopping board. I also suggest having a look at this amazing cutting board project - Cutting boards by @JoeAzza

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Lisar
Just Starting Out

Here is the finished board replacing a very tired and split one. Out with the old in with the repurposed, finished with grapeseed oil. 

IMG_9406.jpeg

IMG_9407.jpeg

IMG_9405.jpeg

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Lisar , the chopping board I made was already glue together, I also wasn’t sure if the glue was food safe, so I recut the joins of the timber , and replanned each side then re glued with food safe glue, Titebond 3.

Lisar
Just Starting Out

Thanks Joe. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lisar 

My apologies for not informing you sooner. We've sent a query to our supplier regarding the glue used on the Teak panel. As soon as we have more information, we'll get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.  

Eric

Lisar
Just Starting Out

Thank you Eric. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects