Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are Tasmanian Oak DARs food safe?

toughgamer
Cultivating a Following

Are Tasmanian Oak DARs food safe?

Hi all, I'm thinking of making an endgrain cutting board and was looking at this https://www.bunnings.com.au/65-x-32mm-2-4m-dar-tasmanian-oak-select_p0070282 - it's dressed Tassie oak. Just wondering if this has been treated or not and if it's food safe.

TIA

Bruce

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Are Tasmanian Oak DARs food safe?

Hello @toughgamer 

Thanks for sharing your question about the 65 x 32mm 2.4m DAR Tasmanian Oak Select. Please allow us to speak to our suppliers regarding the suitability of this product. As soon as we have more information, we'll get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @toughgamer,

I have spoken with the supplier for this Tasmanian Oak who has advised that the products they supply are raw timber, meaning there are absolutely no preservatives or chemicals used on the timber.

Their advice was that to create a cutting board from their product it is important to use a food safe glue such as Gorilla Wood Glue, whose website states -

"Once cured, Gorilla Wood Glue complies with FDA #CFR21 175.105 for indirect food contact and can be used on projects such as salad bowls and cutting boards."

You can then use a product such as Gilly's 250ml Chopping Board Oil to finish the cutting board.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

toughgamer
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much Jacob!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects