Workshop
Ask a question

Do you need drainage for a raised vegetable garden?

Boyd
Just Starting Out

Do you need drainage for a raised vegetable garden?

I am putting a raised colour bond vegetable box over concrete. I intend to put carpet on the bottom before adding soil. Do I need to do anything about drainage?….drill holes or let the carpet protrude beyond the edges of the box.

Should I add a few pebbles above the layer of carpet?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: raised vegetable garden

Hi @Boyd,

Thank you for your question about a raised vegetable garden and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It sounds like you should be fine without putting holes in the carpet as it will raise the edges slightly and allow for drainage. 

I'd suggest having the carpet protrude beyond the edges of the box and applying a layer of drainage gravel to the bottom of the garden bed. This should keep the soil in place while allowing the water to drain when needed.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Do you need drainage for a raised vegetable garden?

Hi @Boyd,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I trust you found Jacob's reply helpful. 

Just thought I'd add that we have a helpful guide How to fill a raised garden bed by experienced community member @Noelle that you should also find useful for your project.

Let us know if you need any further assistance, and we look forward to seeing your new raised garden bed when it's complete. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects