Workshop
Ask a question

When and how often to prune dwarf fruit trees?

HendrikaWehrma
Just Starting Out

When and how often to prune dwarf fruit trees?

I HAVE A P.LUMBCOT,  AN APRICOT, NECTERIN AND FUJII APP.E ALL DWALFT TREES AND ALTHOUGH I HAVE ATTE MPTED TO PRUNE THEM IN PAST I AM CERTAINLY UNSURE ABOUT IT and would love some advise. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do you know when and how often to prune dwaft fruit trees.

Hi @HendrikaWehrma,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

The general rule of thumb with pruning is that it should be done in late winter to early spring once the worst of the cold has passed. 

Pruning when it is too cold will not allow the pruned members to harden off which can allow the cold in and cause damage to the tree.

When the warmer months come around, pruning the dead growth will allow the nutrients and energy to go to the parts of the plant that will put them to best use.

Ensure you don't remove more than 20-30% of the trees canopy in a single calendar year as this will place too much stress on the trees.

You might like to have a read through How To Prune Trees for some additional tips and guidance.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any tips, @Noelle, @mich1972, @ChloeThomson.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how do you know when and how often to prune dwaft fruit trees.

Hi @HendrikaWehrma 

Your plumcot, nectarine and Fuji apple should be pruned in mid-winter while they are completely dormant, when it's much easier to see what and where to cut. In general, shorten back last season's growth by about one-third and cut out any spindly twigs and shoots crossing over one another. Pruning should be finished before the growth and flower buds start to swell and show colour in late winter - early spring.

Deciduous fruit trees (those that lose their leaves over winter) should always be pruned while they are bare, with the exception of apricot trees.

The apricot should be pruned in autumn, before it loses its leaves. This is to allow the cut surfaces to heal before winter rains, so reducing the incidence of fungal diseases which can be severe in many apricot varieties.

Evergreen fruiting trees, like citrus, should not be pruned until the weather warms in spring, to prevent frosts and cold winds damaging the new growth that will appear immediately after pruning.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects