Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

When to prune a Lilac Tree in bloom third time his year?

oneteaspoon
Growing in Experience

When to prune a Lilac Tree in bloom third time his year?

Originally bought this lilac tree and put it in a pot before discovering it became route bound and completely cracked the pot it was in. Moved it to the location. It is in now and thought I had killed it. However, last year it bloomed twice and this year it is starting to bud, again after flowering in late summer and midwinter. The flowers are a beautiful fragrant purple colour. Here are photographs of the tree now. Two years ago, I Had artificial turf put down in the courtyard as there was just Tanbark there previously. Since that change I have noticed that the tree does look a lot healthier and I’m not sure if it has to do with the fact I am hosing down the other official turf quite regularly as I have two small dogs.

FYI - I am an extreme novice so any advice or resources you can share is greatly appreciated.

IMG_4549.jpeg

IMG_4544.jpeg

IMG_4547.jpeg

  

IMG_4546.jpeg

IMG_4548.jpeg

  

IMG_4545.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: When to prune a Lilac Tree in bloom third time his year

Hi @oneteaspoon,

Thank you for your question about caring for your lilac tree.

The best time to prune a lilac tree is right after it finishes blooming in late spring or early summer, as this helps it set buds for next year. Avoid pruning in autumn or winter to prevent reducing blooms. Remove spent blooms, cut dead or diseased branches, and thin older stems to improve growth, size, and air circulation.

Your lilac tree will also benefit from a balanced fertiliser such as this Scotts Osmocote 500g All Purpose Controlled Release Fertiliser. Apply a handful to the base of the tree and water in thoroughly.

Here is some helpful information from our supplier Yates about how to grow and care for lilacs - How to Grow Lilacs.

Also, allow me to tag @Noelle, our resident horticultural expert to see if she has any advice.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: When to prune a Lilac Tree in bloom third time his year

@oneteaspoon , Jacob's pretty well covered all you need to know!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects