Workshop
Ask a question

When to plant tulip bulbs in Sydney?

VijayWani
Getting Established

When to plant tulip bulbs in Sydney?

I am in Sydney and have some Tulip Bulbs. Please let me know exactly when shall I plant them to get the expected results.

Also let me know the planting and care tips to grow tulips.

Thaknks,

Vijay Wani 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: When Shall I plant tulip bulbs

Hi @VijayWani,

Thank you for your question about when to plant tulip bulbs.

The general rule with tulips is they should be planted once the weather starts to cool down. The best time is between late Autumn and early Winter, so right now is going to be a good time.

Some general tips:

• Plant them in a sunny place that is protected from the wind. 
  • Ensure the soil is well draining as tulips don't like sitting sodden.  
  • Use a premium planting mix such as this Scotts Osmocote 25L Garden Soil Premium Planting Mix
  • Plant them roughly 15-20cm deep and 10-15cm apart, 
  • Water thoroughly after planting. Tulips need consistent moisture but should not be waterlogged. 
  • Once established, water during dry spells but avoid overwatering.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any tips they can offer, @Noelle, @mich1972, @ChloeThomson.

You might also like to check out How To Grow and Care For Tulips In Australia for some guidance.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: When Shall I plant tulip bulbs

Hi @VijayWani 

If you follow the advice in How To Grow and Care For Tulips In Australia you won't go far wrong, especially the bit about putting your tulip bulbs in a paper bag into the vegetable crisper section of your refrigerator for a few weeks before planting.  This enforced chill period stimulates the bulbs to start growing roots and shoots when they are transferred into the relative warmth of the garden soil. I would tend to do this even in colder climates like southern Victoria and Tasmania, as a bit of added assurance they will grow away when planted.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects