Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What has caused holes in tomato fruit?

balaji27
Having an Impact

What has caused holes in tomato fruit?

Hello,

I found a hole in one of my tomatoes, please refer to the pic. Would you please advice what is the issue here and how to fix it? Other tomatoes look good.20231126_164530.jpg

Thanks,

Balaji.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What has caused holes in tomato fruit?

Hello @balaji27,

Sorry to hear about those holes in your tomato fruit. Let me call in our garden experts @Noelle@Adam_W and @mich1972 for their insights on why this might be happening. 

If you haven't already, I'd also recommend checking out Adam's step-by-step guide How to grow tomatoes from seed to harvest. It contains handy tips that you might find useful as you're growing your tomatoes.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @balaji27 

Thanks for sharing your question about the holes in your tomato. I suggest doing a thorough examination of your tomato plant from top to bottom, especially under the leaves. You are looking for a tomato fruit worm, this common caterpillar eats holes in the fruit about the diameter of a cigarette. The holes can be shallow or deep. The wounds often enlarge when they become infected with secondary fungi and begin to rot.  

I'm afraid once it has been eaten. it will need to be removed and disposed of. However, before putting it in the bin, I suggest opening the tomato as the worm might be hiding inside. If it is confirmed that a tomato fruit worm has invaded your plant, I propose using Yates 40g Natures Way Caterpillar Killer Dipel Insecticide.

Yates Natures Way effectively controls a wide range of leaf and fruit eating caterpillars and there is no withholding period – edibles can be eaten straight away. It is also safe for non-target insects, meaning it is safe for bees, ladybirds, birds, fish, mammals & pets.

I also suggest inspecting the plant every day for caterpillar activity. Although the spray will manage the caterpillars, it's best to remove them manually to prevent further damage to the plant.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using the spray. Please make sure to follow all the safety precautions printed at the back of the bottle.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric for your prompt advice, much appreciated. I will follow as per your guidance.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects