Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What can I plant next to a fence?

Billyg1
Just Starting Out

What can I plant next to a fence?

Hello! I wanted to redo this bit in the front of our house (see pic). Its about 4 m by 0.5 m. The plants can't be too wide, and height ideally to be shorter than the fence, as the space is used for cars. Also need something hardy, resistant to winds. It doesn't get a lot of sun, because of the trees above, though it gets a bit in the afternoon. Can maybe look at climbing plants? Ta! 

20240517_151300.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What plants can I add here?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Billyg1. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about plant selection.

Given the narrow width and height restrictions of your space, climbers are a great idea. They can be trained to grow vertically along your fence, making efficient use of the available space without spreading out too wide. Climbers like star jasmine or ivy are hardy and can tolerate a bit of wind. They also adapt well to areas with partial shade, thriving even with limited sunlight. These plants will not only add greenery but also create a visually appealing backdrop without encroaching on the space needed for cars. Check out this ever-popular project Training climbers to screen a fence by @royq

If you weren't keen on adding the wire trellis to the fence it can be substituted with lattice.

Here's a helpful guide: How to create privacy by planting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell! Will give that a shot. Am literally doing this for the first time in my life, so can I also ask - what should i do to prep the soil to support these climbers?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Billyg1 

To prepare the area for planting, I suggest aerating it using Saxon Lawn Aerator Sandals. This will open up and break the soil allowing water and nutrients to flow better. The fertilizer and soil nutrients you'll be adding depends on the type of plant you'll be putting in. I also recommend investing in a Cyclone Stainless Steel Garden Trowel which will help you in planting.

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to grow, prune and propagate jasmine

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects