Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are white things under bark mulch?

MYC
Building a Reputation

What are white things under bark mulch?

1000059864.jpg

1000059866.jpg

 what are these white things in my soil? I am trying to feed Rose impact and saw these under bark mulch.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: rose soil has white things under bark mulch

Hi @MYC,

Is it affecting your plants? Or is it simply a question of curiosity?

I can't say I'm sure what these white things are.

It looks somewhat like slow-release fertiliser pellets. Did you put down fertiliser pellets such as this Scotts Osmocote 1kg All Purpose Controlled Release Fertiliser in the past?

It might be mycelium which is like the root system of fungi. It's made up of thin, thread-like strands that spread through soil or organic material, breaking down dead plants and wood. This helps recycle nutrients back into the soil, making it healthier for plants. Sometimes you can see mycelium as white, fuzzy patches under bark or mulch.

I suppose they could also be eggs or droppings from insects, which aren't going to be harmful unless they are actively damaging your plants.

If it is not affecting your plants, I don't think it is worth worrying about.

Allow me to tag some of our knowledgeable members to see if they have any ideas what they could be, @Dave-1, @Noelle, @DIYGnome.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: What are white things under bark mulch?

Afternoon @MYC 

My first thought was some kind of mycelium from the bark itself decomposing. Tho @JacobZs other suggestion also makes sense.

Do you rose leaves have any spots or discolorings? If not I wouldnt be overly worried. I freaked out once when I found some pright orangy dogs throw up it looked like on my new bark mulch. Turns out its a natural mycelium but wooooo it worried me at first that some poor doggo was sick.

Dave

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What are white things under bark mulch?

Hi @MYC 

Looks like fertiliser to me. Fungal mycelium is threadlike rather than granular fertilser. And because this is in patches as fertiliser is likely to be when broadcast by hand, that seems the more logical to me.

As @Dave-1 also says, even if it is fungal, it is likely to be one of the many microflora that live naturally in mulches and composts - they are among the organisms responsible for the breaking down of organic materials like mulch into compost or humus that is good for the soil. Generally these microflora feed on dead and decaying materials, not living plants, so your roses would be safe.

As an aside, don't put the mulch right up close to the trunks/main stems of your roses - as the mulch breaks down it could possibly cause stem roots on your roses. Leave a minimum 15cm radius circle around each rose trunk.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects