Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are nitrogen fixing plants?

gardener_komol
Just Starting Out

What are nitrogen fixing plants?

Im making a food forest in bangladesh. I want to know what can be the nitrogen fixing plants for my climate, indian subtropical zone. I couldnot be sure about which are they. Can anyone help.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: nitrogen fixing plants

Hi @gardener_komol,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

It sounds like an interesting project that I'd love to assist with, but as I'm sure you can understand, being an Australian and New Zealand website, our ability to provide advice based on Bangladesh's climate and natural resources is limited.

Naturally improving nitrogen in soils is all about allowing plants to undergo their natural lifecycles. Sprouting, to maturity and eventually falling down to be broken down and absorbed by the soil. This style of farming is referred to as permaculture.

Permaculture food forestry is a method of growing food that mimics the structure and function of a natural forest. It involves planting a diverse range of edible plants, such as trees, shrubs, herbs, and ground covers, that work together to create a self-sustaining ecosystem. The key principles include:

1. Layering: Planting different types of plants in layers, from tall trees to low ground covers, to maximize space and resources.
  2. Diversity: Using a variety of plants to promote biodiversity and resilience.
  3. Natural Processes: Leveraging natural processes like nutrient cycling and pest control to reduce the need for external inputs.
  4. Sustainability: Creating a system that maintains and regenerates itself with minimal intervention.

The aim is to produce food while enhancing the health of the environment, creating a productive and sustainable system similar to a natural forest.

It's worth noting that naturally fixing soils where nitrogen is scarce is not a fast process, requiring a lot of work and many years for the ecosystem to find equilibrium.  

Some potential options for your food forest include:

• Canopy Trees: Tall fruit and nut trees (e.g., mango, jackfruit).
  • Understory Trees: Smaller fruit trees (e.g., guava, papaya).
  • Shrubs: Berry bushes, nitrogen-fixing shrubs (e.g., pigeon pea).
  • Herbs: Culinary and medicinal herbs (e.g., turmeric, mint).
  • Ground Covers: Low-growing plants that protect the soil (e.g., sweet potatoes, clover).
  • Root Crops: Plants with edible roots (e.g., ginger, taro).
  • Vines: Climbing plants that use vertical space (e.g., beans, passionfruit).

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they can impart any of their knowledge, @Adam_W, @Noelle, @ChloeThomson.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What are nitrogen fixing plants?

Hello @gardener_komol 

Legumes are the best nitrogen-fixing plants to cultivate - they have tremendous potential and there would be many different types that could be suitable in your climate, ranging from ornamental plants such as lupins through to edibles like peas and beans, and pasture crops like lucerne. Grown as green manure crops to be dug in before they fully mature, not only will they add nitrogen to the soil but will also create bulk organic material to aid in moisture penetration and retention.

It may be worth growing a few of these crops under and between some of your tree plantings, to be turned in before they flower.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects