Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Orchid house and potting shed

gredonmanor
Getting Established

Orchid house and potting shed

I had a lightbulb moment  when i wanted to grow orchids and needed a designated area to grow them. I had a vision and my husband made it happen. Haven't started growing orchids yet but glass house is a wonderful place for growing herbs and it makes a great potting shed. I listen to my music and waste away the afternoon propergating more plants that I don't need, (of course I do, can never have enough plants)🤭

Materials

It is hard to list all the individual materials we used, however we made many a trip to bunnings to get all the things we needed or thought we had already.  From paint stripper and paint for doors to rapid set concrete for setting framework into holes. Numerous size nails and screws to join it all together.  Tinted laserlite for roof and white shadecloth to replace broken glass panels and to allow ventilation.  Mesh on back wall for vertical garden system and variety of herbs. 

Tools

It is hard to list all tools used to construct glasshouse as I'm sure we used nearly everything we had already. From shovels,  drills,  bench saw, level and hammers to name a few

Steps

Step 1

1000001670.jpg

Started with old glass doors and a vision

Step 2

1000001560.jpg

Finding a place in garden to build glasshouse. Removing plants and levelling ground.

Step 3

1000002617.jpg

Holes dug and timber framework concreted in place and starting to fit doors. Each door having to be fitted separately, as being old used doors none having perfectly straight angles. 

Step 4

1000002662.jpg

Starting to build roof on an angle to allow for ventilation and covering with laserlite 

Step 5

1000002752.jpgAfter finishing the roof it was time to attach some metal framing on back wall to hang a vertical garden for the herbs and to cover any broken glass panels with white shadecloth or thick plastic. 

Step 6

1000002702.jpgTime to add heaps of bling, solar lights and any bits and pieces I've accumulated over time.  I've now planted hippeastrums around outside and 2 climbing roses. Bring on spring 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Orchid house and potting shed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gredonmanor. It's sensational to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your amazing project.

What a fantastic orchid house you've created there. I love that you've used recycled doors, and they've come up a treat. I can see why you enjoy spending time in there, as it really is a sensational space; I trust the plants love it, too! Was there much of a temperature change achieved?

Thanks again for sharing, and great work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Orchid house and potting shed

Hi Mitchell thank you for your kind words. As glasshouse has only been finished since easter I haven't had the chance to experience any of the hot days or snakes  we have in Victoria's north west. It has survived a massive rain storm and hail. When summer arrives I'm sure Bunnings will have solar or battery powered fans that will help with circulating the air inside. Cheers Donna 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects