Workshop
Ask a question

How to treat Lavender stem infection?

nikita6
Just Starting Out

How to treat Lavender stem infection?

Hi, 

Just saw something weird on Lavender stem. Can you help me what is this ? And how to fix?

1000083864.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat Lavender stem infection?

Hi @nikita6

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It looks like insect eggs. If you brush them, do they come off the stem? Is it possible to get a photo from the other side of the plant?

I really am stumped by this one as I've looked for any example of something similar and I have been unable to find anything.

Allow me to tag @Noelle, our resident horticultural expert to see if she has any ideas on what this could be.

Let me know if you have any other questions or photos to offer.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @nikita6 

Definitely the eggs of a pest of some sort, laid in the stem causing it to split. A general garden insecticide spray would be a good option at this stage, to try and prevent the eggs hatching, or pruning off the affected stem and putting it in the household rubbish for collection. The eggs are likely to have been paid by a flying insect of some sort, now long gone.

nikita6
Just Starting Out

Thank you, Jacob & Noelle. I thought the same and I have pruned all the infected stems.

Could you please suggest a good insecticide please?

Regards 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nikita6,

I'd suggest Eco-Organic Ready To Use Eco-Oil which is a ready to use, organic insecticide made from plant oils.

Without knowing exactly what the eggs were laid by; this would be a good option that is not harmful to beneficial insects like bees and lady beetles.

Let me know if you've got any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects